If your Outright Each Way bet has been paid out for less than you expected, it is most likely due to dead heat ties in the final leaderboard. A dead heat occurs when two or more participants tie for a position. This will only affect bets placed on golfers who ‘place’, as the winner will be decided by a playoff if necessary.
For help on calculating your winnings, check out our Golf Dead Heat calculator here
Your payout with dead heat applied will depend on:
- The player you backed
- The odds you took when you placed the bet
- The Each Way places offered when you placed the bet.
- The Each Way place terms (1/5 of the odds you took when you placed the bet)
Your stake will be affected as follows:
- Win part of the stake is settled as a loser.
- Each way part of the bet will be settled as a place, with the stake divided by the number of players tied for the place, multiplied by the number of places available.
EG: You had €/£5 each-way on M Wolff (40/1 pre-tournament). EW terms were 1/5, for 5 places. Your bet would be settled as:
- €/£10 stake = €/£5 win stake + €/£5 EW stake
- Win stake = loser
- €/£5 EW stake divided by 5 (number of DH competitors) = €/£1
- €/£1 multiplied by 2 (number of places available) = €/£2 DH stake
- Odds of 40/1 at 1/5 EW terms terms = 8/1
- Total Winnings: €/£2 x 8/1 = €/£16
- Total Returns: €/£16 winnings + €/£2 DH stake = €/£18
The 2021 Open Championship Leaderboard was as follows:
1 Colin Morikawa
2 Jordan Spieth
T3 John Rahm
T3 Louis Oosthuizen
5 Dylan Fritelli
T6 Brooks Koepka
T6 Mackenzie Hughes
T8 Dustin Johnson
T8 Robert MacIntyre
T8 Daniel Berger
T8 Scottie Scheffler
T12 Viktor Hovland
T12 Shane Lowry
T12 Emiliano Grillo
If you bet on Colin Morikawa it will be settled as the outright winner.
If you bet with 3 each way places on Louis Oosthuizen or John Rahm, your bet will be paid based on 1/2 of your each way stake, as there were 2 selections tied for 1 place.
If you bet with 6 each way places on Brooks Koepka or Mackenzie Hughes, your bet will be paid based on 1/2 of your each way stake as there were 2 selections tied for 1 place.
If you bet with 8 each way places on any of the players tied for 8th your bet will be paid based on 1/4 of your each way stake as there were 4 selections tied for 1 place.
If you bet with 12 each way places on Shane Lowry, Viktor Hovland or Emiliano Grilo your bet will be paid based on 1/3 of your each way stake as there were 3 selections tied for 1 place.